PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
Solutions And Guidance For Your Legal Conflicts
  1. Home
  2.  ~ 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  ~ Those who want to move should be aware of Florida child custody laws

Those who want to move should be aware of Florida child custody laws

On Behalf of | Nov 10, 2020 | Child Custody

Parents who live in or around Inverness may have to move to another part of Florida or even out of state for a number of reasons.

For example, a job opportunity may come up that will mean a financial or other improvement for the parent and his or her family. In other cases, family circumstances may require a move.

In most cases, Florida parents who are subject to a child custody order will have to make sure they follow Florida’s laws and ordinarily would do so well before their move.

Not following these rules can lead to serious consequences, including a contempt of court finding. Also, a violation of these rules could lead to a change of custody, an unfavorable decision about parenting time or a decision to deny a parent permission to move.

Parents who want to move may need to file a petition with the court

Not every move is subject to Florida’s relocation laws. Perhaps the most common exception is that parents do not have to follow these laws for local moves within 50 miles of their current residence.

However, these parents should still review their court orders and make sure they are aware of any other requirements, such as a requirement to notify the other parent of a new address.

If the move does fall within the law, and if the parents can iron out any disagreements about the move between themselves, they may file their agreement with the court.

Otherwise, the parent wanting to move will have to file a formal request with the court and get the court’s permission.

The parent must officially notify the other parent in case the other parent objects. If there is an objection, the court will likely have to hold a custody hearing.